WHY NOT WATCH THIS NICE VIDEO?



Tuesday 25 March 2014

The Pound Pub has arrived.

A 'no frills' pub is to sell a pint of lager for only £1.50 per pint and £1 per half state newspaper reports today. The Pound Pub will open in Stockton-on-Tees with a second pub planned for Atherton just outside Manchester. Cue gnashing of teeth by the health lobby.

I do have a bit of a problem with two half pint costing 50% more than a pint which could encourage excessive drinking. I presume that none of the beers on offer will be the latest 'must have' offering from our coolest craft breweries nor can I imagine that any brewery can provide cask beer to be sold so cheaply. So I'll pass thanks.

6 comments:

  1. fingers crossed for a national roll out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Holt's Bitter hitting a pound a pint in Manchester about twenty years ago; in some of their Eccles pubs, it's still only just over two pounds a pint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if there will be a Happy Hour?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Morning Advertiser report does say that they will be offering cask beer, not just lager and smooth, although presumably just mainstream brews.

    Sam Smith's OBB is still only £1.80 a pint in pubs round here, and their 2.8% ABV keg milds even less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Derby Arms in Aughton sells keg Walkers at £1.50 a pint. I've no idea who brews it, but it's supposed to based on the old Walkers recipe. I'll try it some day for research purposes.

    ReplyDelete