WHY NOT WATCH THIS NICE VIDEO?



Monday 7 January 2013

How good is Derby?

Until Saturday I'd only visited the two pubs in Derby closest to the railway station - Alexandra and Brunswick. I'd booked a cheap Travelodge room and was able to make a good effort at sampling some of the best pubs in the City. I was very impressed with the choice, quality and price of beers. £2.70/£2.80 was typical and many of the pubs gave a 20p per pint discount to CAMRA members.

The pubs were well grouped too. Apart from the two mentioned above I visited Wetherspoon's for any early start, then Olde Dolphin, Five Lamps, Flower Pot, Brewery Tap, Silk Mill and the Smithfield and didn't seem to spend much time on foot.

Five Lamps
There was a friendly greeting in all the pubs and choosing a favourite wasn't easy but I can see why the Five Lamps was voted Derby CAMRA POTY. A well chosen list of beers - obscure isn't necessarily best with beers from as Acorn, Buxton, Derby, Roosters and Whim for example. I don't really see why the CAMRA Winter Beers Festival is moving to Derby. They've enough good beer as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment